Boredom is caused by repetition, so if you want to cure boredom, begin by observing how many new experiences you have on a daily basis.
Doing, seeing, and experiencing new things makes room for curiosity and inspiration. You may experience some fear, tempered by excitement, as part of the deal, but it will be well worth it.
This post may contain some affiliate links to products that I use and love. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll earn a commission, at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure here.
Here are 20 things you can do right now or in the near future to alleviate boredom and rekindle your passion for life.
1. Travel If a two-week vacation feels like a month or more, it's probably because your typical way of life is repetitive. The same routine; the same commute; the same food. Even seemingly innocuous, healthy activities like yoga and mindfulness can become part of your daily or weekly routine, and repetition shrinks time.
Travel, by definition, brings with it a constant stream of new experiences, each of which must be processed by the brain for the first time. When you learn something new, neural circuits communicate via synapses, and creating these pathways requires more energy and time.
The brain interprets that “longer” time as such, so you perceive your two weeks of vacation as significantly longer than a typical two weeks at home.
I understand that traveling abroad is difficult at the moment due to the pandemic; however, what you should do is try to fill your life with new experiences — explore a little and get out of your comfort zone!
2. Learn a New Language If you are bored, you must have free time. What better way to spend that time than to improve your communication skills? Remember when you said, “I'd love to be able to speak Italian”?
Nothing beats being able to communicate with a foreigner in their native language. It allows you to recognize cultural differences and similarities while also making a new friend.
The added bonus is that your new friend appreciates your effort to speak their language, which demonstrates not only your curiosity but also your respect for them, their country, and culture.
3. Empower Yourself You may think of “boredom” as a state, but it is really just a thought. Consider the thought “I am bored.” It implies that I am bored. So, who or what is it that is boring me? And why would I allow external factors to influence my conscious state?
If you truly want to learn how to cure boredom, you must take responsibility and ownership of your own life.
4. Let Go of Self-Pity “I'm bored.” “This isn't fair.” “Why is this happening to me?” ” How useful are these ideas? How much more beneficial would it be to let them go and instead reinvigorate your life with positive affirmations?
5. Be Creative We were born to be creative. You can do it alone, whether artistically, musically, or literarily. It could be something practical, like gardening or carpentry, or it could be something creative, like writing a business plan for your new venture, but whatever gets your creative juices flowing will help to alleviate boredom and reignite your life.
6. Learn to Play a Musical Instrument The ten thousand hour rule for musical proficiency has recently lost some credibility, which is probably a good thing for aspiring learners.
Rather than being intimidated by the prospect of learning to play a musical instrument, concentrate on the end goal. What do you truly desire?
Take, for example, the guitar. Do you want to learn to play classical music such as “Tales of the Alhambra” or the “Smoke on the Water” riff? There are significant differences between the two, not the least of which is the amount of time it will take you to learn how.
Do-it-yourself learning is fine, but when it comes to music, one size does not fit all, so treat yourself to finding a teacher—online if necessary—who can tailor your lessons to your specific goals. This way, you can avoid learning unnecessary techniques and complicated scales and instead focus on the sound and style that you want to create.
7. Move Endorphins are produced by physical activity and interact with brain receptors to produce positive feelings. Boredom cannot coexist with positive feelings, so this is an excellent way to alleviate it.
You will never be bored when you are enjoying the experience of pushing yourself physically, whether it is bench-pressing your maximum weight, achieving a head-stand, or dancing to your favorite song.
8. Take Conscious Breaths If you're not thinking, you can't be bored, and when you're present, you can't imagine the duality that prompts comparison between your current state and an alternate fantasy.
Conscious breathing reduces stress and brings the mind back to the present moment. What's more, it only takes a few minutes!
9. Accept Reality as It Is According to Buddhist teachings[4,] all suffering is caused by craving, and learning to accept reality as it is frees us from that craving.
Because boredom is a reaction to what is, the cure is to accept reality.
10. Choose Your Chores We all have tasks that we must complete from time to time for practical reasons. They may be time-consuming, uninspiring, or even boring, but they must be completed.
Rather than resisting the experience and becoming a victim—poor me—make a different decision. Choose to do what needs to be done to the best of your ability and with as much zeal as you can muster. You'll be astounded at how much of a difference this makes.
11. Declutter Is that fondue set really necessary? When was the last time you wore that double-cuffed dress shirt? Will you ever use that static bike again? How much lighter would your life be if you didn't have this extra baggage?
Decluttering and aiming for a more minimalist lifestyle can be a great goal to occupy your time and energy if you want to learn how to cure boredom.
12. Cooking shows on TV have never been more popular, and yet we spend more time watching than doing.
If you put your mind to it, you can easily learn to cook to a decent standard by using free online resources such as recipes and YouTube videos.
13. Free Yourself From Time Sometimes boredom manifests as a result of simply waiting in a line, and it can lead to stress and anxiety even if there is no deadline to meet: Why is this taking so long?
- Why didn't I go with the other option?
- Why is she asking so many questions?
- How are they able to be so inefficient?
You can either allow time to be your master, or you can recognize it for what it is: a human-created mental construct.
14. Be Grateful Spend ten minutes focusing on your gratitude. Consider three things for which you are grateful in your life and sit with that intention.
Do this every day to learn how to get rid of boredom. It's difficult to be bored or think you have nothing interesting to do when you're happy with the little things in life.
15. Boredom is caused by a lack of ability to simply “be.” The pace of technological development, from Crompton's Spinning Mule to the smart phone, has been so rapid that it is at odds with human evolution. The increase in leisure time, combined with the more recent trend and thus expectation of instant gratification, has resulted in a craving mentality for the “next” thing in the “developed” world.
Guarded Heart: You say that your heart is guarded, that you've put up walls, that you're content with the way things are. Well, I say you're wrong. That you've locked up your heart so tightly that no one can get inside. If you think you're safe, I'd like to tell you that you're not. Because someone will come along and they will break down all your defenses. They will show you what love is all about. They will show you the way. So it is time to take down those walls. You need to discover how wonderful it is to be loved. It's the only way to find the path to a happy heart. Read more.
Season of Giving: Giving is the purest form of selfless love one can express. Giving is not limited to tangible gifts such as chocolate and flowers. Giving can also come in the form of service. Season of Giving is a time of year where we reflect on how grateful we are for what we have and also give back to those in need. This year, there are many ways you can give back. If you're fortunate enough to be blessed financially, you can give back with your money by donating to organizations that support soup kitchens and shelters. If you're not financially stable, you can still give back by volunteering and donating your time. As this season of giving approaches, do not be hesitant to give to those that need it. Be the change in the world and make a difference! Read more.
What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self: I would tell my younger self NOT to stress as much as I do now. While I enjoy the challenges of today, the pressures of the future really build up over time, and I regret stressing over issues that seem less important now that I have a more mature view of life. I would have saved a lot of worry if a friend had just told me a simple, "Don't worry so much!" Read more.
Characteristics of Happy People: Common characteristics are found in happy, successful people. If you are not happy or are still struggling to be happy, maybe you are missing these characteristics! Maybe you are already happy, but need to undergo a journey of self-discovery to further understand yourself! It's also possible that you're just in a bad mood today! Either way, you have plenty of options! Read more.
De Motivation: Set yourself up to succeed. There are times where things go wrong. Sometimes, you don't know what to do or what you want out of life. You might be burned out or shy or feeling frustrated with the world. A lot of things can be wrong. But setting yourself up for success can make all of those wrongs right. It's very easy to do, too. A lot of it boils down to self-motivation. It's like motivation but more specific. It's like the more simple form of motivation that is based more on you than it is on others. You'll need to know what you want to do. Then you'll need to focus on that thing. Next, you'll need to work hard on it. And finally, you'll need to keep your eyes on the prize. When you keep working on your thing, you'll find it easier to succeed. Read more.
You have heard it all before: "Live life to the fullest", "follow your dreams", "be who you are" and "if it is meant to be, it will be". These are all wonderful quotes that are meant to help you live a happy life but they miss the point. Our lives are interconnected with each other and with the world.
No matter how hard you think you try, there’s always going to be a certain level of stress in your life. And when stress gets out of hand, it can start to negatively affect your life. But this doesn’t have to be the case. There are some easy steps you can take to improve your life in the long run, and we’ve found a few that can help you enjoy a better life and get rid of stress.