Hiccups Superstition (The Ultimate Guide + Image Quotes)

Everyone gets hiccups at some point. It is caused by spasms in the diaphragm, which can occur for no apparent reason. It can be unpleasant, but it is rarely life-threatening. Here are a few facts about hiccups that you probably didn't know.

1. If you have hiccups for more than 48 hours, there is an underlying cause

Random bouts of the hiccups are perfectly normal and do not indicate the presence of any disease. That is, assuming they last longer than two days. If that's the case, there's an 80 percent chance that something else is causing the hiccups. The remaining 20% is usually made up of psychological issues. In any case, if you've had them for that long, something else is wrong.

This post may contain some affiliate links to products that I use and love. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll earn a commission, at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure here.

2. A variety of factors can cause hiccups

Hiccups can be caused by a variety of factors. Short-term bouts of hiccups have been linked to alcohol consumption, smoking, sudden changes in temperature (both inside and outside of your stomach), a bloated stomach from overeating, shock, stress, and excitement. Long-term hiccups can be caused by gastrointestinal or respiratory distress, diabetes, or other medical conditions.

3. None of the home remedies are effective

Hiccups only last a few minutes and, aside from doctor-administered medication, there are no known treatments to stop them. So drinking water, holding your breath, or becoming scared won't help. The hiccups are likely to have stopped on their own by the time these events occur. Home remedies will still be listed on websites, but they will only be referred to as things that “may help” rather than “will help.”

4. According to one superstitious belief, hiccups are caused by hatred

According to an old wives' tale, you only get hiccups when someone is talking negatively about you, and the only way to get rid of them is to guess the name of the person doing it. Of course, this is not true because there would be people on the planet who would never stop hiccuping! According to Russian folklore, hiccups occur when someone is thinking about you (good or bad). A third superstition holds that hiccups indicate that you have been cursed with bad luck and that Satan lives within you.

5. A hiccup is caused by your own body cutting off the air supply

The trademark hiccup sound has long been used in cartoon comedy, but how is it created? When the diaphragm contracts, it causes a quick intake of air, which is quickly cut off by the vocal cords closing. The resulting noise is referred to as a hiccup! According to studies, it takes approximately 35 milliseconds for the diaphragm to contract and the windpipe to close.

6. Anyone can get the hiccups

If you thought there was a demographic that was immune to the hiccups, think again. From the oldest people to the youngest children, people of all races, sexes, and ages can get the hiccups. This includes fetuses still inside the womb. They, too, can get hiccups! It's almost poetic in its simplicity. Hiccups make no distinctions. They also affect cats and dogs, as well as any other animal with a developed respiratory system!

7. The average person experiences 4-60 hiccups per minute

There is a unit of measurement for hiccup frequency, and it is called hpm (hiccups per minute). The average person‘s heart rate ranges from 4 to 60 beats per minute. That means there are people up there hiccuping once every second for a minute. That does not sound like a good time.

8. Currently, there are three names for hiccups

You're familiar with the first one, which are hiccups. Diaphragmatic spasms and singultus are the other two. The first is fairly self-explanatory. Singultus is derived from the Latin phrase “singult,” which translates loosely as “the act of catching one's breath while sobbing.” Hiccups were also known as yox, hickot, hickock, hitchcock, and hiccough in the past. It eventually became hiccups and stayed that way.

9. Once upon a time, there was a man who hiccuped for 68 years

From 1922 to 1990, a man named Charles Osbourne suffered from the hiccups. He was reportedly picking up a pig to weigh it when he began to hiccup and never stopped. He went on to live a full life, fathering eight children and marrying twice. It's a common occurrence, but we're still not sure what causes hiccups. The dominant theory holds that the diaphragm becomes irritated in some way and decides to contract until the irritation subsides. It won't matter in a few minutes because they'll be gone. Unless your name is Charles Osbourne, you should seek medical attention.

Related Posts

Characteristics of Happy People: Studies show that happy people generally share some common characteristics. Happy people generally have a positive attitude towards life. They are mindful of the present, never dwelling on the past or worrying too much about the future. Happy people develop their social network of family and friends, and remain in supportive relationships. Happy people exercise regularly and get enough sleep, and they get a reasonable amount of leisure time. Happy people practice gratitude by counting their blessings and expressing gratitude to others. Happy people also have hobbies that keep them engaged and provide a sense of purpose. Read more.

Be a Doer: Be a doer. Don't just dream about what you could do. Don't just imagine what you could achieve. Don't just talk about what you could be. Be the doer and the dreamer and the achiever and the talker. One of the biggest reasons we don't do what we want to do, don't achieve what we want to achieve, and don't become what we want to become is because we're waiting for that perfect moment to set our plans into motion. But real life doesn't work like that. The perfect moment doesn't exist, and if it did, it would be the moment preceding it. So make that moment. Take whatever steps you can to get to whatever place you want to be, because if you stay still you'll be stuck right where you are. Read more.

Strong Person: Some people know how to push themselves far beyond what others think they can do and achieve and others know how to let themselves be pushed around and achieve nothing. There is a fine balance between overdoing and underdoing the doing and achieving and quite frankly, it's important to know when to say no and when to say yes. Whether you're at the gym or just sitting at your desk at work, don't be afraid to put in an extra effort to get an extra achievement. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be the best you can be and this comes from within. Know that it's OK to ask for help if you need it, be that physical or financial. Read more.

Talent vs Hard Work: If you're passionate about something, it is easier to put in the hours. If you're good at something, it is easier to put in the hours. Skills and passion make a very potent combination. Read more.

Overrated Things: Some things that we consider "overrated" may be useful and important. Even though these "overrated" things may not be useful to us, they can be useful to others and we should not put them down. I think the most overrated thing in the world is the color orange. The color orange is okay, but not great. No one would miss it if it disappeared. I also think the phrase "I love you" is overrated. Saying it does not make you a great person and showing it is not necessary to be a kind person. I just think we overrate it and we could all benefit from realizing we've been blowing smoke when we say it. Read more.

↓Free Ebook↓

You have heard it all before: "Live life to the fullest", "follow your dreams", "be who you are" and "if it is meant to be, it will be". These are all wonderful quotes that are meant to help you live a happy life but they miss the point. Our lives are interconnected with each other and with the world.

No matter how hard you think you try, there’s always going to be a certain level of stress in your life. And when stress gets out of hand, it can start to negatively affect your life. But this doesn’t have to be the case. There are some easy steps you can take to improve your life in the long run, and we’ve found a few that can help you enjoy a better life and get rid of stress.

Free Ebook